7 books that introduced me to 7 new genres

 Introduction 

Sci-Fi To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. This was a gift from my sister (thanks!) that I picked out (thanks Amazon!). I had read reviews about it being a hilarious book, and I like funny things, so I took a chance on it. I hadn’t read any sci-fi up to that point other than classic works in the genre (War of the Worlds, Time Machine, and a couple of Jules Verne novels) that were on reading lists I followed. I read those more for their historical appeal. Well, it is amazing! There were a couple of Easter eggs I loved finding that I found because I had already read the classic by Jerome K. Jerome which she was riffing off of for this work, but I it would have lessened the beauty of this book if I hadn’t. Now I've read A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Dune, and I, Robot, and I'm looking for other classics of the genre so I can better understand how this community of writers has built worlds together.

Memoir: All Rivers Run to the Sea by Elie Wiesel. I had read an autobiography before this point, but I don’t remember encountering a collection of memoirs that was this memorable. I read this one because I thought it would be easier to read than Night. I was wrong, as I found out later in college when I read Night as part of my research for a paper about Se questo e in uomo by Primo Levi. This is a long book, and difficult to read, but beautiful. Elie Wiesel’s memoir was complete and simple in a way that his narrative about his experiences in a concentration camp were not. It showed his life as a whole, not just the part that most defined him despite himself. It was in that way less harrowing than reading just Night would have been when I read this when I was 16. I don’t read a lot of memoirs these days, but I’ll always remember this one.

Interactive picture books: Press Here by Hervé Tullet. This genre is a reaction by the picture book community to child disengagement from analog written word. I appreciate that this book is artful and engaging for my kids. There are nearly endless options in the genre now (we have a cupcake baking one that is a favorite, but there really are so many that a list is hard). Yet it’s still a newer one for picture books. I’ve loved learning about the picture book world. It is so full of history. I know the picture book community worries about disengagement, and I think a greater awareness of what the reader is required to do while reading is a smart step toward better books. It can be overdone, it can be clunky, but the picture book world is a space for distilled word and art to come together to express our most vibrant ideas. I love it.


Poetry: The Dreamkeeper and other poems by Langston Hughes. This was one of the many books I have read while fighting illness. Books reach you where you are. It’s similar to making a new friend. This one was a good one. Caring, also hurting, eloquent and raw. Poetry is the most present genre. It asks you to feel where you are, and to remember. At the same time it connects you to the moment it was conceived. It’s a clear, direct connection to the past. It links the past to the present in a way that makes them both stronger. I remember where I was, how I felt, who was there, the time of day, the lighting, almost what I was wearing (not something I usually remember). That’s how poetry is for me. That’s why I love poetry. When it’s good, I remember everything. I feel more connected to the present, with a framework of history which gives perspective. It’s not the usual definition for poetry, but it’s mine.


Business: Good to Great. I hated reading this book. It was for a family book club. Since then I have found business books to be better when I select them myself with a goal in mind. They are useful, but not usually beautiful. I wish they were both. I really enjoyed Shoe Dog recently. Shout out to my cousin Silas for the recommendation.


Graphic Novel: Batman Court of the Owls New 52. My husband loves graphic novels, and I never really understood the appeal. Then I buckled down and read one. It was great! They are collections of issues of comic books, so in some ways they remind me of the serial novels of Dickens’ era. There are a lot of good options for kids too which we are exploring currently. Favorites so far are Bird and Squirrel, Avatar, Narwhal and Jelly, and anything by Ben Hatke.


Adventure journalism: Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl. This is one of my favorite genres now. I read this book because we had two copies of it that were inherited from my mom's parents. It makes me uncomfortable to own books that I haven't read, and having two copies made it doubly uncomfortable. I decided to read it even though I knew nothing about it. I found myself laughing out loud at parts, board at others, and completely riveted later on. Later finds have been Endurance by Alfred Lansing and True Spirit by Jessica Watson.   


Comments

Popular Posts