Seeding the lawn

Rena’s yellow mum in evening light.

 I decided this year I will pay attention to the lawn. I have up to this point ignored it other than using my trimmer on it when it gets too long. In preparation, I found lots of helpful information on the UC Davis website, watched some master gardeners of Solano County YouTube videos, and read a book, “Weeds in the Urban Landscape” by Richard Orlando. I loved Richard’s approach to weeds. It was good to know which ones to control right away and which ones I can be more lenient towards. He also includes what the weeds have historically been used for and other historical details that I enjoyed. Anyway, now I am aware that my backyard is infested with wood sorrel, and that it is difficult to control and gives no nitrogen fixing benefits to the soil even though it looks similar to clover. I’m pulling it out as the good can grow. Between that and the Bermuda grass I have some work. I don’t think they will ever be completely banished, but I’m hoping to give them some competition with the native California grass seed mix I seeded and the perennial ryegrass that I’m planning to use for spot treatments. I the meantime, I’m watering twice a day shallowly, which is not my favorite, but it’s just for one month and then I’ll wean it down to one inch per week. We are a little past one week of lawn care, and it’s already looking much better.

Comments

Popular Posts