On Being Left-Handed

The other day, while building a Lego set, I noticed that it was obviously designed by a right-handed person, which makes sense since on average only 10% of people are left-handed. Most of the time I don't notice that I'm left-handed, but sometimes unexpected things like Lego sets draw the realization out of me. Anyway, it's a topic to mull over, and it's something I recently found an excellent book about. The book is Right Hand, Left Hand : The Origins of Asymmetry in the Brain by Chris McManus. It led to many hours of indulgent contemplation about the way things are and why. There are some things that must be the way they are as eternal truths, and there are other things that allow for diversification or beautiful opportunities for creativity. Everyday I try to learn more that will help to categorize those two.

Comments

Popular Posts